There’s no denying that a dog can be a great addition to your household. And once the holiday season settles in, it gets even harder to resist those sweet, furry faces (just look at that cute little guy). But it isn’t just puppy kisses and warm cuddles that you’ll enjoy with your new canine friend; you’ll also get a big health boost. And what's better than the gift of good health? Some benefits include:
· Lower blood pressure
· Lower heart rate
· Lower cholesterol
· Lower stress
· Increased physical activity
In addition to these health benefits for all age groups, recent studies have highlighted the significant benefit that dogs offer for childrenand older adults. For instance, man’s furry best friend might provide some protection against allergic diseases, like eczema.
So, if a new furry companion is at the top of your wish list this holiday season, here are a few things to consider:
1. Start by thinking about your living space, the American Kennel Club suggests. Do you live in a house or a small apartment? How big is your yard or your car?
While a Great Dane may be your favorite breed, the bottom line is, you’ll want to pick a dog whose size and needs are a good match for your household.
2. Next, think about your lifestyle. If you spend a lot of time indoors, you might want a dog that also enjoys being inside with people, like a Pug. However, if you're looking for an exercise companion or have a family that loves outdoor activities, a Retriever may be a good choice.
3. Decide who in the household will be caring for your new pet. Is that person up for long walks every day, or will your dog be getting most of its exercise in your backyard?
4. And if you've got kids, make sure any dog you're considering loves having kids touch and play with him or her. Also talk about the role of caring for the new family member. Having a pet is a great way to instill a sense of responsibility in children.
Giving the best gift of all.
This time of year is extra special, so why not feel your very best? With experienced providers, convenient locations and the latest in treatment options, every member of your family can receive customized care with Gwinnett Medical Group Primary Care. Well, all of your human family members at least. Whether you’re battling the common cold or suffering from a stomach bug, count on the experts of GMG primary care to provide the comprehensive care you need exactly when you need it.