Between bug bites, sunburnsand poison ivy, itchy skin is nearly impossible to avoid during the summer months. And because there are so many possible culprits, it can be hard to pin down just what the source of your itch may be.
Even though there are many reasons for itchy skin, they often stem from one common cause—inflammation. As one of your body’s key defenses, inflammation is its way of protecting you against things like bacteria, toxins and heat. That’s why redness and itchiness accompany everything from rosacea and eczema to sunburns and bug bites.
So while that annoying itch may drive you crazy, remember, it’s your body’s way of defending you. And before giving into a satisfying scratch, you should know that may actually just cause more irritation. Instead, try one of these simple techniques for some much needed relief. These include:
· Applying a cold, wet cloth or ice pack to the itchy area for five to 10 minutes or until the itch subsides
· Take an oatmeal bath
· Use skin moisturizers that contain no additives, fragrances or perfumes
· Apply topical anesthetics that contain pramoxine
· Apply cooling agents such as menthol or calamine, or refrigerate your moisturizer to help achieve this cooling effect
In addition to these tips for quick relief, here are some great ways to keep your skin happy, healthy and itch-free:
· Bathe in lukewarm, not hot, water
· Limit baths or showers to 10 minutes
· Use fragrance-free lotions, soaps and detergents
· Wear loose-fitting, cotton clothes
· Keep your home relatively cool with neutral humidity; and use a humidifier in winter if you are prone to dry skin or eczema
Comfort is just around the corner.
Most people have more than one reason to scratch. Whether it’s an allergy, a bug bite or something more serious, that annoying itch would drive just about anyone crazy. That’s why the experts of ChoiceOne Urgent Care are available seven days a week; 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., so you get comprehensive care exactly when you need it.